Healthy Meal Plan For Your 6-Month-Old Baby
We have put together our favourite nutritious meals for babies. Find these easy-to-follow recipes for your little one below.
Eggy Sweet Potato and Coconut Custard
Prep: 85 min
Eggy sweet potato custard… Who says baby’s first foods need to be boring. This delicious puree combines the flavours of coconut milk, sweet potato and cinnamon, creating a delicious and balanced meal for babies and toddlers.
¾ Cup Of Sweet Potato
1 Egg Yolk
¼ Teaspoon Cinnamon
¼ Cup Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 200ºC.
- Bake sweet potato in skin for 1 hour or until tender.
- Once sweet potato cools, remove the flesh.
- Whisk the egg yolk with the cinnamon and coconut milk.
- Add the sweet potato and whisk until smooth.
- Pour into a small baking dish.
- Bake for 15-20 min or until cooked all the way through.
Vegan Beetroot Hummus
Serves: 2 1/2
Prep: 5 min
This red earthy hummus dip is a nutritious addition to sandwiches, flatbread chips, veggie sticks and can be enjoyed on its own. It can be introduced to little ones right from the start (omit the salt for babies under 1 yr). Hummus is such a fabulous option as it counts towards your child’s protein, carbohydrate and vegetable intake. With the addition of beetroot, you can be assured that they are receiving a whammy full of antioxidants and vitamin C with each mouthful.
1½ Cups Cooked Chickpeas
2 Cups Beetroot, Peeled, Cubed And Cooked Or Roasted
¼ Cup Tahini, Hulled
1-2 Garlic Cloves, Peeled And Crushed
¼ Cup Lemon Juice
1-1½ Tsp Ground Cumin
¼ Cup Extra Virgin Olive Oil
Sea Salt And Pepper, To Taste
- Place all ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth and creamy.
- Use as a dip for veggie sticks or homemade crackers.
DIY Coconut Yoghurt
Serves: 3.5 cups
Prep: 15 (+18-30 hours setting time) min
Yoghurt made from coconut milk is fast gaining popularity. It’s an excellent choice for children with dairy allergies or intolerances. However, many of the quality brands at healthfood stores come with a hefty price tag. Here is a great recipe for anyone wanting to make their own. It’s easy to make and can be flavoured according to your children’s preference, great options include adding fresh fruit, using it as a layer in parfaits, or using as the base of frozen home-made popsicles.
800mls Of Organic Coconut Milk
2-3 Tbs Tapioca Starch
4 Tbs Store-Bought Coconut Yoghurt Or 4 Probiotic Capsules
- In a medium-sized saucepan, add coconut milk and whisk until smooth.
- Add tapioca and whisk to combine.
- Heat over medium heat until it starts to simmer.
- Cook for 5-8 mins over low heat.
- Allow to cool, then whisk in the coconut yoghurt or probiotic capsules.
- Pour into clean jars, put lid on top and place in oven for 12-24 hours, with oven light turned on to keep the environment warm.
- Refrigerate for at least 6 hours before serving.
If your oven light doesn’t work, just wrap the jar into a tea towel to keep the temperature even. If you prefer a thicker consistency try using coconut cream instead of milk. You can use 4 tbs of this yoghurt as a starter for your next batch.
Roast Cauliflower, Hemp, Coconut Purée
Serves: 2 Cups
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 30 min
If you’re cautious of store-bought baby foods, you’re not alone! They’re often packed with excess sugar, preservatives and other nasties. But, introducing solids to your little one just got tastier and more nutritious. Cauliflower and hemp are two superfoods and combined, this purée is a powerhouse of nutrition. Cauliflower is high in fibre to keep your child regular, while hemp is packed with protein and healthy fats to fill that little tum. This recipe blends those together with some naturally sweet coconut milk too so this is is one baby food that will go down a treat!
2 Cups Cauliflower Florets
1 Tbs Coconut Oil
1 Tbs Hemp Seeds
¾ Cup Coconut Milk
- Preheat oven to 200°C and line a baking tray with baking paper.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine cauliflower and coconut oil. Place mixture on the baking tray and bake in the oven for about 30 mins or until browned and softened.
- Take out of the oven and allow to cool.
- Place all ingredients into a blender and blend until desired consistency is reached.
Pumpkin Spice Porridge
Prep: 5 min
Pumpkin spice porridge is a fabulous way to supercharge your family’s morning. It’s warm and delicious flavour is comforting for all ages and stages. Pumpkin is rich in beta-carotene, potassium and vitamin C. The secret ingredient in this delicious and filling porridge is a sprinkle of anti-inflammatory cinnamon, which brings out the sweetness of the pumpkin and helps to balance out those sweet sugar cravings.
1 Cup Gluten-Free Rolled Oats
1 Cup Almond Milk Or Milk Of Choice
1 Cup Filtered Water
1/3 Cup Butternut Pumpkin, Peeled, Steamed And Pureed
1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
1/2 Tsp Vanilla Extract Or Powder
½ Tbs Coconut Oil, Ghee Or Butter
- Place oats, almond milk and water in a medium sized saucepan and bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for about 5 mins until thick and creamy.
- Add pumpkin puree, cinnamon and vanilla and stir to combine.
- Simmer on low heat for another 2 mins.
- Remove from heat, add coconut oil and stir through.
- Allow to cool a little before serving.